Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Top 5 Episode IV: A new hip hop(e)

Alright.  This may come a shocker to some people but here it is plain and simple:  I like Hip Hop.  I really do.  

I have heard many people in the past say this exact sentence when asked about their musical preferences: "I like everything, except country and rap."  I have a couple problems with this.  First of all, you don't like everything.  You may like the idea of everything, but really, everyone who has said that previous sentence really meant "I like popular music in a few different styles."  When people ask you this question, it is usually to try and build a conversation on similar interests, not trying to find out is you are intolerant of other cultures.  You do not have to be vauge about this question.  Just tell them some of the CDs you have in the car that very minute.  Second, by stating that you "like everything, except country and rap" you have missed the point.  By completely excluding two very large genres of music, you have crippled your ability to really enjoy music.  I am not saying that a true appreciator has to like everything.  That is not my point.  But, by ignoring any genre of music outright, or simply saying that you do, you limit yourself.  I truly do like most (Read: not all) kinds of music.  I just happen to hate a ton of people that professionally make pop music.  Big Difference.

Hip Hop, to me, is something special, something different from Rap music in general.  It speaks to a different style of life.  It is a much more poetic, storytelling style of performance.  The lines between Rap and Hip Hop are often blurred, especially by record companies and media outlets.  They can't seem to tell the difference.  Content is the key to telling the two apart.  Rap songs can be catchy, but Hip Hop has content.  It has meaning.  It is kind of like English English and American English.  They both use the same words and structure, but one sounds more refined, more clever.  Almost anything sounds more intelligent in a British accent.


Just ask any Arrested Development fan.

I make no claim as to my complete knowledge of Hip Hop.  I will be the first to acknowledge that i have much more to learn.  But over the years i have picked up a few favorite artists here and there, mostly due to awesome recommendations from friends.  So here is a list of Hip Hop songs/artists that I really enjoy.  

Number 5: "Kick, Push" by Lupe Fiasco


Native Chicagoan Lupe Fiasco is a rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, and CEO of  1st and 15th Entertainment.  Ever since i heard his album the first time, i knew that he was something different.  This song, for instance, is about a young man who takes up skateboarding, and how it ends up defining him as a person.  That alone makes this song worth listening to.  He is not bragging about his own skateboarding skills (he can't actually skate himself, and he openly admits it), or how much money he makes, or how much of a thug he is.  Its a love song about two skateboarding kids who are just looking for a good place to skate.  Such a cool song.  My favorite lyric is from the second verse:

"Met his girlfriend, she was clappin' in the crowd, Love is what was happening to him now,

He said I would marry you but I'm engaged to these aerials and varials
And I don't think this board is strong enough to carry 2 She said bow I weigh 120 pounds, now Lemme make one thing clear I don't need to ride yours I got mine right here."

Boom.  Love storied.

Number 4: "UNIverse at War" By The Roots Feat. Common


The Roots were one of the first Hip Hop groups that i ever listened to.  I also got to see them live once, and they are amazing.  One of my favorite Roots songs has always been "UNIverse at War" from Illadelph Halflife.  I have to thank either Teddy O. or Dave Helem for introducing me to the Roots.  My favorite lyrics are from Common:

"Some let the block block they mind if they could see what I see

Get out the city for a sec be at the places I be
Hey, I'ma be back on the deck, opening
Business in places for you to cash your check
My, neck of the woods ain't all good ain't all bad
You can live in the burbs, and still get had"

Number 3: "Definition/REdefinition" by Black Star


Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star is a fantastic album.  I chose this track (its actually 2 tracks that run back to back) for two reasons.  First, this is my favorite track on the album and second, this song is about how Hip Hop is ruining itself and needs to return to its roots. The lyrics in this song reflect how Hip Hop came from humble origins, and it has become too violent and hateful.  My favorite lyrics from this song are from Mos Def, and are right at the beginning of the song:

"Yo, from the first to the last of it, delivery is passionate

The whole and not the half of it, vocab and not the math of it
Projectile that them blasted with, accurate assassin shit
Me and Kweli close like, Bethlehem and Nazareth"

Did he just say "Me and Kweli close like Bethlehem and Nazareth"? Yes.  Yes he did.


Number 2: "Us Placers" by Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, and Pharell Williams



This song prominently features music from the song "The Eraser" by Thom Yorke, the singer from Radiohead (One of my favorite bands) so i immediately paid attention when i heard it on the radio.  Say what you will about Kanye's personality, but he is a fantastic writer.  The song speaks mostly about how being famous still doesn't make life any better.  Kind of a modern day "Mo Money, Mo Problems" type song.  Usually, when a rapper starts talking about how much money they have, i stop paying attention.  This song is different.  They are not bragging.  It is almost an apology to their younger selves, trying desperately to let them know that money is not what is important most in life (Hence, the younger versions of themselves in the video).  I know i may be reading a little too much between the lines on this one, but i feel that the whole first verse makes this very clear: 

"Two pinky rings for my manicured fingers

A trained German Shepherd that barks when it’s angered
To watch my possessions and look out for strangers
A 50 foot yacht with an anchor
Young supermodel that shall remain nameless
Ups and the downs, the sames and the changes
All the money in the world don’t make it painless" 




Number 1: you probably could guess...

Lulz.  Just kidding.  But how did you not see this coming?



Number 1, with a bullet: "What's Golden?" By Jurassic 5


"Whats Golden?" is a true Hip Hop song, and the MCs from Jurassic 5 are truly talented.  They use their words and styles to deliver different ideas and thoughts in an impressively intelligent way.  This song is specifically about how they try to stay true to their Hip Hop roots, and the love of their craft itself.  Another example of real artists shying away from the goal of making money and trying to create something pure.  My favorite lyrics state this exactly:

Melancholy mundane so I tame the hot flame
Big rings, fat chains, and y'all quest for the same
No name, use fame, strictly new to the thang
We stay true to the game and never bring it to shame


I think what i like about good Hip Hop is that it is not focused on the trivial things that seem to preoccupy every other rap song.  I don't care about how many hos you made it rain on last night.  That is stupid.  Tell me a real story, something that is meaningful to you, something intelligent, and i will glady pay attention.  And if anyone has any good recommendations, i will give them a listen.  I am always on the lookout for new music.  Just don't recommend any country songs.  I fucking hate country music. (see what i did there? lulz.)

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment