Saturday, November 3, 2012

Noisy but nice neighbors

So a little less than a month ago, we got new neighbors directly below us. They seem to be pretty well mannered during the day time, but occasionally on the weekends they get a little rowdy. Tonight was the first time that I ever had to ask anyone else to "please keep it down".

Usually, I don't mind loud bodies coming from neighbors. Sometimes, repetitive, loud music can get a little annoying, but usually I am pretty laid back. Tonight, they were participating in a particularly loud game of "never have I ever" on their balcony. Their balcony is about ten feet from my sons window. Charlie woke up and decided he wanted to hang out with all the other loud people, demonstrated by the fact that he himself, started to scream. This did not make me happy.

I decided to take a rational approach (asking nicely) rather than what I felt like doing (yelling at them to shit the fuck up). I remember how it was to be young, intoxicated, and loud. I know how shitty it feels to be yelled at for having a good time. So mustering up all my upstairs neighbor courage, I stuck my head over my balcony and asked them nicely if they wouldn't mind keeping it down while they were on their balcony.

Surprisingly, my requests were met with kindness and understanding. Everyone complied and went back in Then I heard this exchange as they were going inside:
Guy who lives there, but was not out on the porch- what was that?
People from outside- the guy upstairs asked us to keep it down.
Guy who lives there- his name is Jeff. He's cool. He has a baby.
Everyone else- *aaaawwwww* (as in aaaawwwww that's cute, not aaaawwwww that's annoying)
Followed by a few different people saying "sorry Jeff"

Now, maybe a simple act of respect to an upstairs neighbor from a bunch of kids shouldn't stand out so much, and maybe I think to little of people a decade younger than me, but I am really glad that my downstairs neighbors seem to be pretty cool people. They didn't whine. They haven't complained. They were just really laid back. Good job, neighbors. I think I'll buy you a Christmas present. Maybe some ping pong balls for your beer pong table.

Sometimes it's the little things in life that restore your faith in humanity, even if you had to ask them to do it quietly so they didn't wake your son.

No comments:

Post a Comment